Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

No. 13 Men's Soccer Ties Hardin-Simmons Despite Taking Early Lead On the Road

No. 13 Men's Soccer Ties Hardin-Simmons Despite Taking Early Lead On the Road

ABILENE, Texas - The No. 13 Trinity University men's soccer team tied Hardin-Simmons University after taking an early 1-0 lead on a goal from Sophomore forward Michael Meese (Williamsburg, Va. / Jamestown) in the 12th minute. With just a few ticks on the clock, HSU tied the match at 1-1 to end the regional matchup in a draw. Trinity is now (1-0-2, 0-0-0 SCAC) while Hardin-Simmons is (0-1-2, 0-0-0 ASC)

The Rundown

Senior midfielder Fraser Burns (Dalry, Scotland / Garnock Academy) took the match's first two shots, with the second shot being saved by the Cowboys goalkeeper. HSU followed that up with a shot of their own that was off target. In the 10th minute,  junior midfielder Joseph Kuri (San Antonio, TX / TMI Episcopal) took a shot on frame that the keeper saved. 

Meese found the back of the net in the 12th minute of the match off of an assist from sophomore midfielder Hunter Cain (Katy, TX / Cinco Ranch) to take a 1-0 lead. 

Senior goalkeeper Austin Wilman (Esher, England / Charterhouse School) made his first save of the night in the 33rd minute of the match. Shortly after, HSU took their first corner kick of the night but nothing came of it. The Tigers took a 1-0 lead heading into the half. 

Senior goalkeeper Juan Carlos Vidales (Laredo, TX / IMG Academy) took over in goal to start the second half. Junior defender Jack Eubank (Raleigh, NC / Needham Broughton) came out of the half and struck a ball that just went over the top post. 

The Tigers were on their way to earning their second win of the season as the clock was running down from 30 seconds, and a foul was committed. Hardin-Simmons then took a free kick from about 30 yards out and scored to tie the match with 18 seconds to play. The Tigers and Cowboys ultimately tied the match. 

Notable Numbers

The Tigers took 14 shots with five being on goal while Hardin-Simmons took 10 shots with two being on goal. 

Trinity only took one corner while HSU took three corners.

One big difference in the match was the Tigers getting seven offsides calls while the Cowboys only got one offsides call.


Up Next

Trinity will take on the University of Texas-Dallas on Sunday at 3:30 pm.