Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Men’s Soccer Snaps Claremont’s 23-Match Regular Season Win Streak

Men’s Soccer Snaps Claremont’s 23-Match Regular Season Win Streak

SAN ANTONIO - The Trinity University men's soccer team squared off with one of the top teams in the West Region. The Tigers defeated Claremont-Mudd-Scripps on two second-half goals to snap their 23-match regular season win streak. Senior midfielder Jake Simon (Menlo Park, CA / Atherton) scored the Tigers' first goal of the season in the 47th minute of the match on a double assist from junior defender Jack Eubank (Raleigh, NC / Needham Broughton) and senior midfielder Fraser Burns (Dalry, Scotland / Garnock Academy). Sophomore forward  Michael Meese (Williamsburg, Va. / Jamestown) put the match away with a goal in the 64th minute. 

The Trinity defense played phenomenal all night and only allowed two total shots with one of those being on frame. Senior goalkeeper Austin Wilman (Esher, England / Charterhouse School) tallied one save and recorded the win in goal for Trinity. 

The Rundown

CMS took the first shot of the evening but Wilman made his lone save of the night. The Tigers responded by firing two shots with the second one being on frame. Trinity made a few great runs throughout the first half but came away empty. In total, the Tigers took six total shots in the first half, with three being on target. 

Despite controlling the pitch for most of the first half, the Tigers came out of halftime with a different energy. Trinity quickly put together a great possession that set up Simon to net the first goal of the match. 

With the pressure on, the Stags started to make solid runs but the Trinity backline stood their ground. In the 64th minute of the match, Burns found Meese who made a few defenders miss on his way to scoring his first goal of the season. The Tigers ultimately won 2-0 over the Stags to open up the 2022 campaign. 

Up Next

Trinity will host Rowan University tomorrow at 7:00 pm at Paul McGinlay Field. Rowan defeated Southwestern 2-1 in the match played before Trinity.